Sunday 10 May 2015

The Infinite Sea Review!

It's about time, am I right? I didn't get back into the swing of reading for a bit after Nano and was surprised to find myself finally gravitating towards this for more reasons than the 52 books challenge.
Expect a lot of reviews coming up because I've got catching up to do! WOO HOO! Another book off then to be read list! This is the sequel to The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey and if you've read that you'll probably understand why I needed to read this one.


Synopsis:
Cassie Sullivan and her other surviving companions are faced with yet another dilemma come the end of the world - winter. With few options on the table it's time the group make their decision: prepare for winter and hope Cassie's Silencer finds them or search out others like them. But like any alien invasion, things aren't quite that simple, or are they?

Review: 
4/5
Let me start by saying that this book was on the brink of falling to 4.5 or 5 but there were a couple obvious things I couldn't ignore that solidified it's fate. So rather than just tell you that, let me explain:

First and I've seen this in a few reviews is the confusion. That is until you realize what the hell Yancey is doing. I attempted to read this book once got like three chapters in and was just really confused and disappointed. So rather than pick up from where I left off, I started it again. This time around I caught on fast. So what makes it so confusing? The character hopping. The first book The 5th Wave did some of this but not nearly to this extent which I think what left a lot of people confused. 

In this book we're in Evan's perspective, Ringer's perspective, Poundcake's perspective, Cassie's Perspective, in short we're in some heads we weren't in last time around. What makes it a little more frustrating is that we open to a prologue that doesn't include any of the characters we know, it's point isn't revealed until more than half-way through the novel.

This wouldn't be a huge problem if things were marked, identifying what character's perspective you're in, instead you're left to figure it out yourself. I didn't figure it out until a few chapters in that part one is Ringer's perspective. Once I figured that out I was searching for the clues in every section until I found them. 

There's quite a bit that happens in this book and it's happening simultaneously, meaning that we get fragments from different characters perspectives which slows it all down a bit. Can you say frustrating? As a result there's lots of action, but I don't see a whole lot of progression in the grand scheme of things. So the next book might be a sh!t show - I look forward to it. 

Casting the negative aside, there's a bunch of great points to this book. There is action and theres all kinds of relationship building and history. In short there was a fair bit of character development going on in this instalment. We learn a lot more about how the aliens work, how the crew got their names and how they lost the ones they loved. We see how the crew works together despite their conflicting judgement. 

I didn't want to stop reading this book and I'm excited for the next one. Was it the most excited I have been while reading a book? No. Was I ever bored while reading it? No. Will I continue reading it? Absolutely.

That's about all I have to say without giving stuff away. I'm starting my next book Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion so be on the lookout for that review soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment